Where to Donate Without Rummage?
With Rummage at Kenilworth Union Church taking a gap year in 2019, where should people donate all that they were going to donate to Rummage this year? If you’ve got room, just box up your donations and save them in a corner of your basement or attic until 2020 when Rummage will return. But if that’s not possible consider donating to one of these excellent organizations:
- YWCA Shop for Good, at 1107 Central Avenue in downtown Wilmette accepts women’s clothing, accessories, and shoes.This shop is a project of YWCA Evanston/North Shore, one of the Kenilworth Union Outreach Agencies. All of the proceeds support the YWCA’s domestic violence and economic empowerment programs for women in northeastern Cook County. Open for donations Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 12–5 p.m. and on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. Deliver to the door at the rear parking lot off 11th St. Or request pickup at 847-853-8888 or email@example.com.
- Winnetka Congregational Church: Accepts donations year-round, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. drop-off at the west end of the Pine Street parking lot of the Winnetka Community House (down flight of stairs to basement level). Furniture pick up available (generally Fridays), but must call 847-446-0575 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange and to have donation vetted. Accepts wide range of items if in great condition. Does not accept computers, printers, mattresses, infant gear (e.g. strollers, cribs, and car seats), and some other items.
- Christ Church-Winnetka: Accepts donations year-round, seven days a week, with drop-off at the back door of the Schroeder Building, 700 Oak Street (in the Oak Street parking lot: street level—no stairs). 8 a.m.–4 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m.–noon on weekends. Accepts wide range of items. Don’t drop off furniture; for free monthly furniture pick up for New Trier Township residents, call 847-446-2850 or e-mail email@example.com to arrange pickup and to get donations vetted. Does not accept mattresses, office furniture, tube TVs, damaged broken or stained items and other items.
- Chicago Furniture Bank: Accepts mattresses (twin, full, queen), bed frames (metal, quick, and easy to disassemble), box springs, cribs, sofas, couches, loveseats, armchairs, chairs, dressers, tables (kitchen, end, bedside), mirrors, artwork, household items (microwaves, toasters, dishes, utensils, glassware, pots and pans). Does not accept large sectional couches, large wooden bed frames, sleeper sofas, king-sized mattresses, large bookshelves, china cabinets, armoires, entertainment centers, TV stands, outdoor furniture, electronics, linens, “soft goods,” clothes, exercise equipment. Drop off at 4800 W. Roosevelt Road, Chicago. Weekdays 9 a.m.–5 p.m., but call ahead to 312-752-0211. Pickups can be arranged for a tax-deductible fee. See website for pickup request form and other information about donation requirements. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Nicholas Catholic Church—Evanston: Accepts donations only from July 14–17 for the July 20 sale. 806 Ridge Avenue. No pick-up available—donors must get donations to school gym themselves. 847-864-1185: Mary Moring, sale chair.
- For other ideas, look at the directory of North Shore rummage sales that are part of the North Shore Chicago Rummage consortium, of which the Church is a member.