What is LIFT?
LIFT’s mission is to help community members achieve economic stability and well-being. LIFT recruits and trains a diverse corps of advocates (interns) who make a commitment to service. LIFT operates a national network of service centers, where interns work side by side with low-income individuals and their families to find employment, secure safe and stable housing, as well as make ends meet through public benefits and tax credits. LIFT has offices in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, DC, which have all together served more than 100,000 members.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- Strong communication skills with ability to convey ideas in written and spoken English
- Commitment to LIFT’s mission and vision
- Fluency in other languages not required but a plus
- Organized, punctual and responsible
- Dedicated to fighting in poverty in the US and Chicago and desire to serve
- Computer Literacy in all Microsoft Office programs
- Experience working directly with others a plus, specifically in a volunteer setting
- All advocates must dedicate approximately 24 or more hours a week for three weeks during winter break.
- Be able to attend a full term: 2 intern terms are available over the winter break: December 1-19, 2014 and/or January 5-23, 2015.
- Willing to complete this position without pay. LIFT is unable to pay interns. However, LIFT internships can be completed for course credit or funded by an outside institution if you have that option available.
All intern positions will include direct service. Interns will:
- Receive rigorous training on resume building, interview skills, housing and more
- Address immediate needs (employment, housing, public benefits, health care, education, etc.) and long-term support designed to help families break the cycle of poverty
- Meet one-on-one with LIFT members – assessing their needs and providing direct and referral services.
- Communicate regularly with members via telephone to: remind about meetings, check in on member progress, update members on new resources/information, etc.
Please note that this posting reflects basic internships LIFT offers for students. However, we are however completely open to discussing alternative internship opportunities working with you to ensure all university requirements for certain internships can be fulfilled.
Interested? Complete this application by November 24, 2014.
LIFT-Chicago Internship Positions
4554 N. Broadway, Suite 329, Chicago IL 60640